Incident Name: Carr Fire
Personnel: Andrew Brake
Agency/Organization: CAL FIRE
Position: Heavy Equipment Mechanic, Firefighter
Summary: On August 9, 2018, at approximately 00:19 hours, in a single vehicle crash, Heavy Equipment Mechanic Andrew Brake, the sole occupant, had been driving northbound on Highway 99 when the CAL FIRE support vehicle ran off the road, hit a tree and burst into flames. The collision happened near Los Molinos in Tehama County. Brake was assigned to work the Carr Fire burning in Shasta and Trinity counties.
Andrew Brake shield
Reports, Documentation, Lessons Learned
- CAL FIRE: Announcement of Andrew Brake’s deathAugust 9, 2018We are saddened to report the death of a CAL FIRE Heavy Equipment Mechanic from the Butte Unit assigned to the Carr Fire. He was killed early this morning as the result of a traffic accident on Highway 99 in Tehama County.
- CA Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr: Statement on the death of CAL FIRE employee, Andrew BrakeFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Governor’s Press Office
Thursday, August 9, 2018 (916) 445-4571
Governor Brown Issues Statement on Death of CAL FIRE Employee
SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today issued the following statement regarding the
death of California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Heavy Equipment Mechanic
“Anne and I offer our condolences to the family and loved ones of Andrew Brake, who passed away in a
vehicle accident on his way to work this morning. On behalf of all Californians, we honor Andrew and
the many other brave firefighters and emergency responders who have risked their lives to protect
Brake, 40, died in a single vehicle accident today while on his way to work on the Carr Fire burning in
Shasta and Trinity counties. He is a six-year veteran of CAL FIRE.
Brake grew up in Chico and is survived by his parents, Melvin and Teresa, daughters Marissa, 20, and
Miranda, 16, and their mother Liberté. Brake is also survived by his sister Lyndsay Barrett, her husband,
Bryan, and their children Lily and Jackson.
Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff in his honor.
Media Articles and Reports
- Former Bridgeville firefighter killed in accident on his way to the Carr Fire8/9/2018 | Redheaded Blackbelt (kymkemp.com)It’s with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Heavy Equipment Mechanic Andrew Jason Brake. HEM Brake died this morning due to a single vehicle accident while assigned to the Carr Fire. Please keep Andrew’s loved ones & everyone in @CALFIRE_ButteCo in your thoughts.
- Coroner identifies Cal Fire mechanic killed while assigned to Carr Fire8/9/18 | KRCRLOS MOLINOS, Calif. — The Tehama County Coroner’s Office has identified the Cal Fire mechanic killed in a collision Thursday morning as Andrew Brake, 40, from Chico.According to the California Highway Patrol, Brake was traveling northbound on Highway 99 when the vehicle he was driving ran off the road, hit a tree, and burst into flames.The collision happened near Los Molinos in Tehama County around 12:20 a.m. Thursday.
Officials said Brake had been assigned to the Carr Fire and worked for the Cal Fire Butte County Unit. (more at the link…)
Photos, Videos, & Tributes
- USFA Memorial Database: Andrew Brake
Honoring Andrew Brake
Contributors to this article:
Please support the Wildland Firefighter Foundation